Great British Beach Clean 2019 – How and why to get involved
We love to look after the planet just as much as our wild birds – and that’s why we like to support projects like the Great British Beach Clean (GBBC). If you’re passionate about the environment like we are, you can make a difference by getting involved in the GBBC.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Great British Beach Clean 2019 – including how you can get involved!
What is the Great British Beach Clean?
Taking place all over the UK, this annual event aims to tackle the problem of ocean pollution. Since the project launched 25 years ago, Marine Conservation Society volunteers have picked up 319 tonnes of litter from our beautiful British beaches, and they’ve even led the change for the plastic bag charge and microplastics to be banned. This year, they’re aiming to make it the biggest beach clean ever.
Where is it?
The Great British Beach Clean will be held at beaches across the UK from 20th – 23rd September 2019.
How to get involved in 2019
It’s easy for you and your whole family to get involved. Wherever you are in the UK, head to your nearest beach to get stuck in. Take a look at the GBBC website to see which beaches are part of the big clean-up event this year. If your local beach isn’t on there (it most likely is) then you can even get in touch with them to kick-start a beach clean on your local sands.
Reasons we love the Great British Beach Clean
With many of us trying to reduce our plastic use at home, the Great British Beach Clean is another way we can help!
- 6 million pieces of litter have been removed by similar Marine Conservation Society beach cleaning events.
- This is important as plastic currently makes up 90% of all marine pollution.
- It’s a great way to teach kids about wildlife and our oceans.
- It benefits our wild birds, particularly sea birds like the avocet, by reducing potential plastic hazards they could swallow or get stuck in.
- It’s a great way to get moving and be more active.
- You’ll also get to meet new people!
Don’t forget to support the migrating birds this season, too! We recommend peanuts for birds as they’re packed with lots of energy to help our feathered friends cover thousands of miles during migration. It’s also important to keep out a regular food supply during this time of the year to support any passers-by.